Hello Everyone!
We have returned back to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh. The capital of Cambodia is crazy! Its good to be back in Siem Reap.
In about 12 hours, we will be heading back to America. Its hard to believe that two weeks have already come and gone, although I am secretly yearning for a high pressured shower, clean clothes that smell like the springtime, and Bay Area weather. Relatively
speaking, 14 days is a very short time frame to do anything, but as previously shared by my team members, we leave Cambodia having witnessed God's hands at work
throughout this land.
Up until several days ago, I was unclear as to why I had come to Cambodia. My prayer requests prior to coming were to have an open heart and to eagerly anticipate any changes/improvements within NIBC in regards to building projects. They were open-ended and vague prayer requests to say the least, but the lesson that God wanted to teach me was grossly obvious and simple. God wanted me to learn about being a faithful child, nothing more and nothing less. Boy, did He make sure that I would learn this lesson. I must have met a dozen or so people (at least one new person a day) who have faithfully answered His call to come and serve Cambodia. Their testimonies of faith, ministries that have begun on no real foundation except faith, and their obedience to God's great commission has been challenging. Moreover, the fruits of their labor are visible. I have had the pleasure to getting to know a good handful of students who have met Christ through the missionaries and the work of their ministry. This idea of having faith (or the lack of it) was being pounded into my head and I leave here knowing that God is asking me to trust Him more.
Even in regards to anticipating a new elementary school at the NIBC site was a lesson in faith in and of itself. Upon arrival, I noticed immediately that the building project for a new primary school that has begun last summer was nowhere near finished. In fact, the missionaries didn't even know if a primary school was going to be possible. To say the least, I was disappointed. It made me sad to think that after Kindergarten, many of these students would not have access to a good primary education. I think I might have actually even grown a little bitter toward the organization and started questioning their vision. Long story short -- a week later, we were informed that NIBC had decided to officially start a primary school THIS fall. They will complete the building by September and have their first class up and running. Not only was this a pleasant shock to me, but the FAITH that these leaders are taking to start up a primary school in two months is what is fascinating. Humanly speaking, NIBC is not ready or prepared to open up a new elementary school. They don't have a director, teachers, nor a curriculum. There will also be a HUGE transition in staff as long-term missionaries from various departments take their leave and new blood steps in. Yet, despite these obstacles, the leaders of NIBC took a a leap of faith and decided to serve the youth in the villages and trusted that God will provide as needed.
These aren't huge revelations and mind-blowing experiences, but reminders that God will never let go of me. He is indeed sovereign and only He knows what will happen. In the mean time, all I am asked to do is to pray and be obedient.
I will see you all soon. Please pray for our safe arrival back in the states and a safe arrival to Korea for the Richards. Thank your for your faithful support in prayer as well. We've been a little sick and we have been bothered a bit by the mosquitoes and ants, but we'll all be back home in one piece. Praise the Lord!
Eun-Sook